Support for energy bonus applications

August 6, 2021 BY

Helping hand: Manager of Ballarat East Neighbourhood House, Sarah Greenwood-Smith, helped John O’Brien with his Power Saving Bonus online application last week. Photo: SUPPLIED

HELP is available for community members looking to apply for the State Government’s Power Saving Bonus.

The $250 one off payment was created to assist people with the cost of living, and manager of Ballarat East Neighbourhood House, Sarah Greenwood-Smith, said the organisation can help eligible people with their online application.

“People can apply for it online but if they’re having trouble doing that, they can come into Ballarat East Neighbourhood House and we can help them to put the application in,” she said.

“They need to be eligible to apply for the Power Saving Bonus and to be eligible they have to have a member of their household who is currently receiving payments through several different areas.”

Those payments could be a Centrelink Pensioner or Department of Veterans Affairs Concession, JobSeeker, Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy.

“We’re available specifically for helping people with the Power Saving Bonus on Thursday mornings during the school term from 10am until 11am,” Ms Greenwood-Smith said.

“If people can’t come at that time, they’re very welcome to call us and we can make an appointment.”

Ms Greenwood Smith said the appointment takes around 10 minutes, and people need to bring a digital or hard copy of a current power bill, their relevant concession card, and their bank details.

Appointments can be made by calling the neighbourhood house on 0422 612 052 or emailing [email protected].

Member for Wendouree, Juliana Addison, said more than 3000 Power Saving Bonus applications had been made from the electorate totalling over $750,000 in payments, and help was also available at local MP offices.

“My office has assisted many people in the office and over the phone, and the program will continue to run until January 2022, so hopefully we’ll be able to help many more,” she said.

“I would encourage anyone who thinks they are eligible for this program to get in touch with their local MP.

“Their office will be able to help you submit your application, or follow up if you have any issues submitting it yourself.”