Barwon Heads defeat Torquay to win Bellarine Football League grand final

September 14, 2019 BY
Barwon Heads defeated Torquay 13.7 (85) to 10.11 (71) in the BFL seniors grand final to win the flag for the first time since 1993.
Torquay had the benefit of playing at their home ground of McCartney Oval, but plenty of supporters from both sides attended the game.
Barwon Heads captain and co-coach Mitch Herbison said after the game that it was great for the side to have so many fans turn out.
“I’ve never seen a crowd like it, the support was amazing.”
Barwon Heads started the game superbly, overwhelming Torquay in the first quarter to take a 6.2 (38) to 2.1 (13) lead.
Torquay then responded well in the second quarter, and at one point kicked three goals without reply to tie the scores at 44 apiece.
Yet Torquay would never pull ahead, as Barwon Heads gradually rebuilt their lead.
Torquay had a strong final quarter, but by that stage Barwon Heads had built a lead large enough to provide them with a reasonable buffer.
The Seagulls played with great intensity, and rarely allowed the Tigers any time and space when they were in possession.
Crucially, the visitors were also very accurate in front of goal. This was underlined in the minutes before half-time, where Barwon Heads responded to Torquay levelling the scores by kicking three goals of their own without reply.
Two of these goals were from challenging angles that, but converting them meant Barwon Heads took a decent lead into the break.
Barwon Heads’ Zachary Walter was named best on ground, with his father having played in the side that won the 1993 premiership.
Barwon Heads captain Mitch Herbison said it was not only the players who took part in the grand final that earned the side their win.
“I’d like to acknowledge the players that didn’t play today.
“It’s more than just the 22 players that stepped out on the paddock today that have contributed to this.”
Barwon Heads had lost last season’s grand final to Modewarre, despite having finished 16 points clear of second-placed Anglesea in the home and away season.
In the reserves grand final, Modewarre staged a fantastic comeback to win 6.11 (47) to Torquay’s 7.3 (45).
Torquay led for almost the entire game, taking the first quarter 3.2 (20) to 0.3 (3).
Yet Modewarre clawed their way back, reducing the deficit to 13 by the end of the second quarter and seven by the end of the third.

Share This