Residents continue to question council’s eco-cabin plans

December 12, 2017 BY

BOROUGH of Queenscliff community members say while they are relieved their council has decided not to build eco-cabins at Shortland’s Bluff, many questions still remain.

The council confirmed at a meeting last month that the south eastern portion of the Queenscliff Recreation Reserve (QRR) was the preferred site for 10 eco-cabins as part of the “Destination Queenscliff” project.

The QRR contains seven cabins, two of which are old and the other five which are in good condition.

The council also endorsed the overflow camping area at Golightly Park as the preferred site for the relocation of these five existing cabins from the Queenscliff Recreation Reserve.

However, Kate Jackson from the No Tourist Housing on Shortland’s Bluff Group said she continued to question the supposed accommodation shortage used to justify the cabins.

“We also wonder why council did not choose Golightly Caravan Park rather than the Recreation Reserve as their preferred alternative site.

“Council’s proposal to site the cabins in the Recreation Reserve means that besides the current sporting and camping facilities, three new uses will be crammed into the Recreation Reserve via a large car park, new netball courts and 10 two-storey tourist cabins.

“The wider issue of development on coastal Crown land is an important issue that council continues to ignore.”

Ms Jackson said she hoped that the council was more proactive in engaging with and seeking the community’s input into the plans for the special place that was Shortland’s Bluff and would strenuously advocate for its heritage listing.

A copy of the council’s report is available to view online at queenscliffe.vic.gov.au.

Share This