Footy and netball to return, some games rescheduled
GROUNDS and courts across the Geelong region will be back in action from tomorrow (Wednesday, July 28) thanks to the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, but with no spectators and a “get in, participate, get out’ principle in place.
Earlier today (Tuesday, July 27), AFL Barwon announced senior and junior football and netball training and games could resume tomorrow if the Victorian Government’s restrictions and protocols were strictly adhered to.
The key details include but are not limited to:
- Contact training and games can resume in Victoria. Density quotient of 1 person per 4spm applies
- Spectators not allowed (excludes people necessary for events such as teachers, instructors, trainers, coaches, umpires, carers, parents and guardians)
- There is a ‘Get in and Get out’ approach to playing and training
- Any attendance at community football and netball training, games and programs must be strictly compliant with Victorian State Government directions and restrictions and follow all requirements for contact tracing procedures including scanning QR codes
- Spectators are not allowed at training, games and programs (excludes people necessary for events such as teachers, instructors, trainers, coaches, umpires, carers, parents and guardians)
- Change rooms are able to be used as a ‘Get in and Get out’ approach
- Clubrooms, canteen and bars should be closed throughout the duration of the matches, and
- Masks need to be worn at all times by people required to facilitate the activity
“As we return to training and games in the lead up to Finals, we strongly emphasize that spectators are not allowed until further advised by the Victorian Government,” AFL Barwon said in a statement.
“We wish to keep our community safe and will play without crowds until directed.
“We also remind all clubs and members that scanning into venues via the Service Victoria QR code is mandatory. Face masks must be worn at all times and a 1.5m social distance must be maintained.”
“It has been a turbulent season that is constantly evolving. Everyone involved in our sports from players to spectators alike must adhere to current protocols, to ensure members can stay out on the field and court safely.
“Our clubs and communities have already demonstrated their commitment to a COVID-safe season, which gives us faith that we can finish the season off with the showcase it deserves, in a COVIDSafe manner.”
There will also be several changes to this weekend’s fixture, as outlined in a memo released on Friday last week.
Bellarine Football and Netball League.
The floating round will be played as Round 17 and the scheduled Round 18 fixture will remain.
Round 17, Saturday, July 31 –
- Anglesea vs Geelong Amateur (ELL)
- Barwon Heads vs Newcomb (HOW)
- Drysdale vs Ocean Grove (MOR)
- Modewarre vs Queenscliff (COM)
- Torquay vs Portarlington (MCC)
Geelong Football and Netball League
The previously scheduled Round 18 will be moved to Round 15.
Round 15, Saturday, July 31 –
- Lara v St Mary’s (BIS)
- Leopold v Colac (LEO)
- Newtown & Chilwell vs Grovedale (ELD)
- North Shore v St Albans (WIN)
- South Barwon v Bell Park (MCD)
- St Joseph’s v Geelong West Giants (DRE) (Netball only)
Sunday, August 1 –
- St Joseph’s v Geelong West Giants (DRE) (Football only)
Colac & District Football and Netball League
The previously scheduled Round 18 will be moved to Round 16.
Round 16 Saturday, July 31 –
- Colac Imperials vs South Colac (WES)
- Otway Districts vs Lorne (GEL)
- Simpson vs Apollo Bay (SIM)
- Western Eagles vs Birregurra (IRR)
- Bye: Alvie & Irrewarra-Beeac
Senior Female Football
The senior fixtures will be adjusted to attempt to make teams play each other at least once in the season. This may not be possible in all competitions.
Round 15 Sunday, August 1 –
Senior Female Division 1
- Grovedale vs Geelong Amateur 1
- St Mary’s 1 vs Geelong West Giants 1
- Newtown & Chilwell 1 vs Barwon Heads 1
Senior Female Division 2
- Drysdale vs North Geelong
- St Mary’s 2 vs Geelong West Giants 2
- Newtown & Chilwell 2 vs Lara
Senior Female Division 3
- South Barwon vs Barwon Heads 2
- St Joseph’s vs Colac Imperials
- Torquay vs Geelong Amateur 2
- Anglesea vs St Albans
Under-19 football and all junior male and female football and junior netball may have had changes. For the latest fixtures, head to the AFL Barwon website.