Blues and Roots Festival delayed
THE much anticipated tenth edition of the Bendigo Blues and Roots Music Festival has been postponed yet again, and is now slated to take place during its familiar early November timeslot later this year.
Venues around Bendigo had already been assigned their roster of artists for what was going to be a jam-packed weekend in February, and headlining performances at Ulumbarra Theatre, featuring the likes of Didirri, Fenn Wilson and Mandy Connell.
Festival director Colin Thompson said the decision, while difficult, had become inevitable, and was made in some part due to ongoing staff shortages that have ravaged the local hospitality community.
“It’s been disheartening in the extreme, but we just keep reminding ourselves that it’s even harder on all our muso mates and hospitality friends and family,” he said.
“All we can do is be there for them in any way we can, especially through the worst parts of it.”
The planned program is expected to remain mainly in place for the new dates of Thursday, 3 to Sunday, 6 November.
“After postponing in 2020/2021 and now this year as well, we will be extremely grateful to finally make number ten happen for real,” Mr Thompson said.
“We’re rapt with how diverse and well-rounded this year’s program looks. We’re obviously disappointed we’re not able to present it in February as planned, but as long as things calm down again on the COVID front, we’re feeling good about it being back in November where it belongs.
“While we’ve not been able to include a lot of internationally based artists, we’ve definitely included lots of international flavours and culturally diverse music.
“There are a healthy number of interstate artists, from all over Australia, as per usual, and a good number of acts who’ve not played Bendigo before, so we can’t wait to share them with everyone.”
Follow the BBRMF Facebook page to keep abreast of further developments at facebook.com/bendigobluesroots.