Restrictions changes welcomed
The Real Estate Institute of Victoria has welcomed the Victorian Government’s recent decision to ease restrictions on private property inspections.
REIV CEO Gil King said it was pleasing to see common sense ultimately prevail through the removal of the onerous restrictions.
“The sector worked hard to inform Government on how the harsh shutdown of real estate services achieved nothing positive; in fact, it caused substantial damage at all levels of property market participation and paralysed those with a desperate need to find accommodation or realise their assets,” he said.
“It’s now important that our members lead sellers, buyers and renters through COVID safe measures and help ensure the sector returns safely back to its buoyant best.
“The REIV is ready to support all members through precise execution of the new restrictions.”
On the Victorian Government’s COVID roadmap, Mr King said, “We have reviewed the sections relevant to the real estate sector and are seeking more information, mainly because there is a lack of detail that’s creating substantial confusion and uncertainty.
“The roadmap is long and ambiguous which is making it very difficult for businesses to plan and prepare.
“The recently announced processes regarding property inspections for sale, end of lease or settlement in restricted areas remains a guessing game with many aspects and advice ignored and questions unanswered.”
A summary of the processes for property inspections includes:
- Inspections by appointment only – Inspection times should NOT be advertised to avoid the risk of people arriving at the property without your prior knowledge. Inspections should be by private appointment only.
- One household in the property at one time
- No occupants can be present in the property at the time of the inspection – Occupants should leave the property during an inspection for one of the permitted reasons.
- The people required to facilitate an inspection should remain outside the premises during the inspection
- A potential buyer/ renter may travel outside the 10 kilometre radius to attend a pre-arranged inspection appointment
- Residents of regional Victoria are permitted to attend an inspection in a restricted area, adhering to the rules applicable in the restricted area.
- Agents must ensure detailed records are kept of all individuals attending the appointment