City’s street performers return to the stage for spring

August 2, 2021 BY

Street performer Kelsey Jenning at Union Street in Geelong. Photo: SUPPLIED

THE City of Greater Geelong and the state government will fund the return of street activations and roving performers to numerous shopping and dining precincts as part of the city’s It’s Our Backyard campaign.

Starting in spring, the city will offer an extension of the eclectic entertainment program through to the end of 2021, after the successful first street entertainment series which was on display in recent weeks across the Lara, Belmont and Geelong districts.

The funds will come directly from the Victorian Government’s Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package.

Chair of the Economic Development portfolio and city councillor Peter Murrihy said the extension of the program would not only be welcomed by the residents of Geelong, but also by the businesses themselves.

“The feedback from the first street entertainment program was really positive, so we’re glad that it can come back in the final few months of the year,” Cr Murrihy said.

“As the weather warms up, our open-air spaces will become more attractive and the addition of the roving performers will encourage people to eat, drink and shop in our local precincts.”

“The funding will also allow the city to continue providing support to our dining and shopping businesses.”

Outdoor dining permit applications and approvals are being fast-tracked in preparation for city’s street additions, and the waiving of permit fees continues throughout 2021.

The timing of the program extension also coincides with the recent approval of more than 80 temporary permits for new and extended al fresco areas dating back to September last year.

The city’s It’s Our Backyard campaign encourages the Geelong community to ‘taste the region’ and to think local first when seeking goods and services.

Thank you for supporting local journalism!