Decision on Balyang golf course lease looms

Members of the Balyang Par 3 Golf Course fear redevelopment of the site will see the region lose its only golf course accessible to those living with disability or physical limitations. Photos: CITY OF GREATER GEELONG
THE City of Greater Geelong is expected to deliver its decision on the future of Balyang Par 3 Golf Course at its meeting next month, as the community continues its fight to save the Newtown facility from redevelopment.
In August last year, the city proposed a 21-year lease with a new tenant who will transform the course into an “exciting golf product for the long-term benefit” of the community, with redevelopment options including a driving range and mini-golf course.
Acting executive director of city life Amie Higgs said 31 submissions had been received about the Balyang Golf Course lease, with five put through to the submission review panel, held last month.
“Minutes from the panel will be tabled as part of our report to council, which will be considered as part of its decision as its May 27 meeting.”
Speaking to the panel last month, Troy Freeman, who has been leading the community’s opposition to the redevelopment of the course, urged the city to preserve Balyang’s “unique” offering.

His petition, launched seven months ago to protect the site from being replaced with facilities he believes are already widely available in the Geelong region, has since surpassed 1,000 signatures.
“Balyang is important to the community for many reasons. It is a family-friendly venue that caters for people of all ages, gender and abilities,” Mr Freeman said.
“We are not against the proposal to lease the site, but we stand united in view to oppose the redevelopment.
“[Golf course] members and the community want to see the course retained in its current format and leased out to someone who has an interest in golf and knows how to market the course.”
Despite the opportunity to plead his case in front of the panel, Mr Freeman fears the city may have already decided to greenlight redevelopment of the site, but maintains his belief that the golf course can “be a success story” if managed correctly.