Licence setback adds heat to Lara incinerator fight

An artist's impression of the waste-to-energy facility Prospect Hill International has proposed for McManus Road in Lara. Photo: SUPPLIED
On Wednesday last week, Recycling Victoria announced the seven organisations granted a “cap licence” to operate waste-to-energy facilities in Victoria.
It was a list that did not include Prospect Hill International (PHI), which wants to incinerate up to 400,000 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill from a $700m facility in McManus Road, 350m from the nearest residential property.
The licence is one of four requirements to operate a waste-to-energy facility in Victoria, with a statewide 2.5 million-tonne annual cap on the total amount of waste able to be processed across Victoria.
PHI is able to appeal the decision to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, which cannot overturn Recycling Victoria’s decision but can only request a review.
It has been a more-than four-year campaign against the facility for the local Lara community, but few are calling a victory yet.

Community opposition campaign leader Charles Street now wants to see the government refuse the facility a planning permit and revoke the development licence it was awarded by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) in December 2023.
This licence will expire in December 2029, but under the EPA Act the body retains the power to amend, suspend or revoke licences for a range of reasons, including in response to a “change in activities”.
“Whilst this is a pleasing development, our community requires more certainty, indeed finality, regarding the fate of this highly inappropriate proposition,” Mr Street said.
“This proposal has no social licence. None.
“As the Lara energy from waste project cannot proceed without a cap licence, a development licence and a planning permit are now superfluous.”
Lara MP Ella George, who has long backed the community campaign against the incinerator, said she is advocating for the planning minister to reject the planning permit application and for the EPA to review its development licence.
“I know the Lara community still have questions about the incinerator, but I want to make this clear: without a licence from Recycling Victoria, Prospect Hill International cannot build and operate an incinerator in Lara,” she said.

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj also welcomed Recycling Victoria’s announcement, similarly committing to again write to the planning minister to ask the project be “ruled out for good”.
“The fight is not over, as a future licence could still be granted,” he said.
It is understood the Department of Transport and Planning is considering Recycling Victoria’s decision in relation to the Lara incinerator and how this impacts the planning permit application.
A Victorian Government spokesperson said the project is still under assessment and it would be “inappropriate to comment further”.
“Any planning proposal will be considered on its merits,” she said.
Prospect Hill International was contacted for comment but had not responded as this newspaper went to print.