State government looks to revive tourism industry

February 27, 2020 BY

THE state government has announced $5 million to help market Victorian tourism as it battles from the after-effects of coronavirus and bushfires.

The initiative, announced last week, aims to promote travelling to Victoria to key international markets beyond China, which account for much of the income Victoria generates from tourism.

Victorian Tourism Industry Council chief executive Felicia Mariani said the funding was a much-needed aid to the suffering tourism economy.

“With dramatically reduced revenues, businesses have reported that they have no choice but to cut staff and hours in an effort to contain costs. They are desperate for marketing support to assist in rebuilding their businesses as quickly as possible.

“This disaster has highlighted Victoria’s over-reliance on China as a primary driver for visitation and spend. The $5 million being allocated to Visit Victoria to market across Australia and in alternate regions like Vietnam, India, New Zealand, the United States and Europe, is exactly what’s needed at this point in time.”

Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula said he was confident the money would draw new people to Victoria.

“This campaign will help to bring new tourists to Victoria in the important months that lie ahead.

“Victoria has so many amazing natural and cultural attractions to promote and we’ll be proudly telling our story to audiences from across the country and around the world.”

Earlier this month, Corangamite Labor federal member Libby Coker called on the Coalition to provide an economic support package for small tourism operators who had been affected by the downturn in visitors.

Victorian Liberal Senator Sarah Henderson said the Coalition was planning a $76 million package to help boost tourism, including $20 million for a campaign to specifically increase tourism in places such as the Great Ocean Road.

Thank you for supporting local journalism!