BFNL considers return to play options
WITH some junior comps back on court and the field last weekend, the Ballarat Football Netball League as outlined where it’s up to with resumption of regular season play for all grades.
In a statement released last week, the League said it was taking a “wait and watch approach”.
“The Ballarat FNL is in a unique position where there are three clubs within the metro boundaries and therefore have different settings to regional clubs,” the statement said.
Added to that was an ongoing order from the State Government that 18-year-old competitive sport in regional Victoria was still prohibited.
While it’s not clear when senior games can be played again, the BFNL has made a call on what matches won’t take place.
All round seven games in the BFNL and the Ballarat Junior Football Netball League, which was originally set for 29 and 30 May have been abandoned, as have BFNL round eight matches scheduled for 5 June.
In addition, “Given the short timeframe for further advice, no games in any competition will be scheduled for the Queen’s Birthday weekend,” the statement said.
Changes have also been made to the Ballarat Football League Women open and youth fixtures.
At this stage round five of those comps, originally set for 30 May will now be moved to Sunday, 25 July where a full comp bye had been scheduled.
Round six of the open, or over 18 grade, which was meant to be played on Sunday, 6 June has also been abandoned.
Lastly, the highly popular and well attended Western Bulldogs Under 9s comp is also up in the air for now.
“It is planned to place this competition on hold until further clarity is provided around density limits and the ability of crowds to attend these games on Friday evenings,” the statement said.
“Games scheduled from this Friday will be paused, with the opportunity available for the fixture to be extended into term three of the school year to maximise participation for the youngest age group in the league.”