Cash injection for community groups
At the end of last year the Stand Like Stone Foundation awarded almost $110,000 in grants for 18 community projects that will help support the region.
Projects ranged from supporting cancer patients with travel costs for their treatment, providing relief for families in need over Christmas with vouchers for food and toys, through to supporting several community organisations with equipment and facility upgrades, as well as assisting the Millicent based Boneham Aged Care Service with the purchase of a multi-purpose hygiene chair for the residents.
Stand Like Stone Foundation CEO Roger Babolka said the impact of donations to the foundation continued to be realised every year, with all donations invested earning income, which then goes back to the community annually through the foundation’s community grants and educational scholarship programs.
“This year we received 35 applications, and it would’ve been great if we were able fund all of the,” Mr Babolka said. “However, the 18 projects that were successful had a combined total project value of more than $200,000, which is great for the Limestone Coast.
“At the end of the day, it’s thanks to our donors, supporters, sponsors, and of course all the grant applicants, that we continue to realise our vision of inspiring community kindness and courage.”
One of this year’s successful applicants was the Noorla Yo-Long Blue Light Outdoor Adventure education facility, which is a crime prevention strategy developed by South Australia Police in partnership with Blue Light (SA) Inc.
Based out at Rendelsham, the 20acre facility opened its doors in 1995 and has hosted more than 52,000 predominantly young people at the facility over those 29 years.
Its mission is to promote crime prevention initiatives and youth relationship building by developing life skills, leadership, and good decision making.
Program Manager and Committee Chair Geoff Yates said without doubt the work that Stand Like Stone does in supporting local not for profit organisations like Noorla Yo-Long was amazing.
“We can’t thank them enough for their incredible support in funding our new mower,” he said. “This ensures we can continue to provide a safe and well-kept environment in which to host our school and youth groups”.
2023 Successful Grant Projects
- Tatiara Men’s Shed
- Assist with the purchase of a laser engraver and cutter for use by its members
- Rapid Relief Team Ltd
- Assist with the purchase of a portable stainless-steel hotbox to improve catering services for first responders, charities, and vulnerable individuals
- Mount Gambier City Band Hall Inc
- Assist with the replacement of gutters to the Band Hall and the purchase of music stand carts
- Mount Gambier Cancer Support Group
- Support disadvantaged community members through the provision of wigs, as well as financial support whilst travelling to receive cancer treatment.
- Glencoe Public Hall
- Provide support to replace gutters and repair salt damp to the Hall.
- Millicent Community Access Radio
- Assist with the upgrade of critical studio equipment
- Lucindale Community Economic Development Board Inc.
- Assistance with the installation of signage for walking trails at the 30-acre Loechel Park.
- Carinya Inc.
- Assist with the purchase and installation of solar systems for aged care independent living units in Keith
- Noorla Yo Long Inc
- Assist with the purchase of a new lawnmower to assist in reducing the bushfire risk and snake risk across the 20acre outdoor youth education facility at Rendelsham.
- Penola Pony Club Inc.
- Assist with the upgrade of food preparation areas at the Club rooms to ensure food safety and handling standards are maintained.
- Four Reasons Why
- Assist with providing relief and funding for 200 families in need over Christmas, with vouchers to enable the purchase of food and toys, as well as enjoy a family fun day at Wulanda.
- Allendale East Public Hall Inc.
- Provide assistance with improving accessibility for users of the facility with concreting around the Hall and new shed.
- The Big Picture Creative Inc.
- Provide funds for an art exhibition to empower, showcase and celebrate the creative talents of disabled artists
- Penola Coonawarra Music Gathering
- Assist with the production and installation of promotional banners and tri-bollards around the local community for the music festival.
- Coonawarra Community Choir
- Provide support to enhance the choir through the provision of vocal coaching and the purchase of equipment.
- Thumbprint Workshop Inc.
- Assist with the purchase of equipment and furniture to allow a wider range of printing techniques to be developed, in comfort and safety.
- Southend Progress Association Inc.
- Assistance to improve accessibility of Connie’s Walk, including interpretive signage.
- Boneham Aged Care Service
- Assistance with the purchase of a multipurpose hygiene chair to support carers in performing important services in a caring, safe, and efficient manner
- Keith Hospital
- A grant to support the Keith Hospital Future Fund.
- Millicent High School Pathways
- A grant to support students at the centre to tailor personalised and alternative education outcomes.