Major sporting facility upgrade back on the agenda
Naracoorte Lucindale Council is seeking community feedback on two options for the proposed Naracoorte Regional Sports Centre with two price tags on the table – an $8M redevelopment or a $35M rebuild.
The project had its beginnings back in 2018, with a masterplan endorsed in 2019 and a design and feasibility delivered in 2021.
With initial proposals rejected due to costings and other factors, the project was shelved until the current council opted to revisit the proposals with the view to now present some detailed options for the community to consider.
OPTION 1 (for the $8M PROJECT BUILD, comprises a standalone 2-court indoor sports stadium containing):
2 multi-sport courts, with 1 court being a basketball/netball show court with fixed spectator seating; Community function room, canteen/kitchen, office, changerooms and storage; the existing basketball stadium is proposed to be retained with this project build.
OPTION 2 (for the $35M PROJECT BUILD, is a new standalone two-story complex providing):
4 indoor multi-use courts; Modern changeroom facilities; Umpires’ facilities; Commercial kitchen and function room (clubrooms); 4 squash courts; Canteen; Administration area; Lift & Multiple viewing areas
The $35M project build would result in the removal of the existing football, netball and tennis clubrooms.
Council is presenting four rate modelling and loan scenarios to the community to consider for the two project builds, which all show how rates will be impacted by the proposed Naracoorte Regional Sports Centre.
- Scenario 1 – $8M project build with 1/3 Council contribution and 2.38% increase on current rate revenue* (based on interest rate as at 25/10/2023)
- Scenario 2 – $8M project build with 1/2 Council contribution and 3.58% increase on current rate revenue* (based on interest rate as at 25/10/2023)
- Scenario 3 – $35M project build funded by 15-year loan with 1/3 Council contribution and 10.43% increase on current rate revenue* (based on interest rate as at 25/10/2023)
- Scenario 4 – $35M project build funded by 30-year loan with 1/3 Council contribution and a 7.49% increase on current rate revenue* (based on interest rate as at 25/10/2023)
All costings are based on the assumption that external funding will be provided by the State and Federal Governments.
Current Community Consultation
Community consultation on the two possible project builds is open until COB on Tuesday, December 12.
Feedback is welcome by:
- Completing the online survey on our Your Say project page at https://bit.ly/regionalsportscentre
- Completing a hard-copy survey available from the Naracoorte and Lucindale Council offices, Naracoorte Library and Naracoorte Visitor Information Centre
Two drop-in sessions have already been held and there are two more scheduled for the Alexandra Room at the Naracoorte Library during this consultation period giving community members the opportunity to chat informally to council representatives about the proposals.
These drop-in sessions will be held on:
- Thursday, November 30, at 10.30-11.30am
- Thursday, November 30, at 5.30-6.30pm
A report on the outcomes of the community consultation will be presented to the Council’s first monthly meeting for the New Year on January 23.
You can view the following documents on the Your Say project page for this community consultation:
The Community Consultation Plan endorsed by Council at its Special Meeting on October 31
The 2019 Naracoorte Regional Sports Centre Masterplan by Tredwell Consultants
You can also view a number of concept images and site plans for both project builds in the photo gallery on the page.