Hooked on Bellarine for National Gone Fishing Day
Recreational fishers and seafood lovers can celebrate National Gone Fishing Day on Sunday, October 20 by joining the festivities at Portarlington’s ‘Hooked on Bellarine’ extravaganza.
This free family-friendly event showcases the Bellarine Peninsula as a seafood and fishing mecca, on the doorstep of Geelong and an easy day trip from Melbourne.
When: Sunday, October 20 (National Gone Fishing Day)
Where: Portarlington Safe Harbour foreshore
There will be something for everyone, including:
• Free ‘come and try’ fishing clinics for kids and novices with tuition from experts. Rods, bait and tackle provided;
• Stands selling freshly cooked seafood and locally made produce, including blue mussels that Portarlington is famous for;
• An aquaculture hub for those keen to understand more about what seafood is grown locally and more broadly across Victoria;
• An expert fishing panel with tips on catching more snapper, King George whiting and gummy sharks;
• Casting competitions run by Fishcare;
• Live music including Shy with Dallas Holden and Simon Towers, local performers, and the Mik Maks, which are a popular children’s group;
• Kids activities;
• A variety of local market stalls organised by the local Lions Club;
• Tables and chairs to relax and enjoy the waterfront views.