• 3 tablespoons kosher salt
• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 4 more tablespoons
• Half cup tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon hot red-pepper flakes
• 1 and a half cups chopped tomatoes
• 500g penne pasta
• Maldon or other flaky sea salt
• Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving METHOD
Bring 10 litres of water to a boil in a large pot, and add 3 tablespoons kosher salt.
Meanwhile, put four tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, and then add the tomato paste and pepper flakes; reduce the heat to low and stir just until fragrant, about four minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and remove from the heat.
Drop the pasta into the boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
Add the pasta and the reserved pasta water to the tomato sauce, stir and toss over medium heat until the pasta is well coated. Season with salt if necessary, then add the remaining oil, tossing well. Serve immediately, with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side.