BARWON Heads surfer Ellie Harrison and Wollongong’s Lennix Smith have been crowned 16 & Under Rip Curl GromSearch National Champions at URBNSURF.
This year marks the 20th time the grom event has been run and the first time the GromSearch national final has been run at URBNSURF, showcasing an innovative format that tested competitors in turn and barrel waves to crown the most well rounded surfers.
The March 15 event also ran an exclusive high-performance GromSearch wave setting, which is presently unavailable to the public.
Harrison was dominant across the event having spent many hours in the facility over the past 12 months.
In the final, she consistently scored excellent scoring rides with the exception of her left barrel wave finishing on a heat total of 29.07 (out of a possible 40).
“I’m super happy to win the Rip Curl GromSearch at URBNSURF,” said Harrison.
“We had perfect waves all day and got to surf with all my friends. It was epic.
“I’ve been lucky to spend lots of time here. Its such a fun wave. Competing in the pool is super different to the ocean, there is a lot of pressure on you to make the waves count. I’m just happy to get a few good scores and win.”
Finishing in second was Holly Wishart (Gerringong) on 22.47 points. Placing third and fourth respectively were Charlotte Mulley (Miami – 20.80 points) and Mia Huppatz (Jan Juc – 19.29 points).
Top age surfer Smith looked right at home at URBNSURF locking in a heat total of 33.07 (out of a possible 40) including an incredible tube ride on his final wave to earn a 10 point ride and the 16 & Under Boys Title.
“I’m so stoked. It was so much fun being in the wave pool and I’m so happy to be the National Champ.”
“It’s awesome to hang out with the boys and get to surf mechanical waves. I don’t think I’ve ever been so nervous in my life in the final. Sitting there waiting for the wave is super nerve-wracking.
“I’ve been mates with all the guys in the final forever. We have been surfing against each other since we were little and it’s always fun to go against them.”
Marlon Harrison (Coolangatta) was equally impressive throughout the day but fell short of Smiths total heat score in the final, finishing with 26.50 points.
Taj Simon (Port Kembla – 23.10 points) and Koda Killorn (Maroubra – 17.41 points) finished in third and fourth place.
National Final Event Results:
16 & Under Girls
* 1st Ellie Harrison (Barwon Heads, VIC) – 29.07 Points
* 2nd Holly Wishart (Gerringong, NSW) – 22.47 Points
* 3rd Charlotte Mulley (Miami, QLD) – 20.80 Points
* 4th Mia Huppatz (Jan Juc, VIC) – 19.29 Points
16 & Under Boys
* 1st Lennix Smith (Barrack Point, NSW) – 32.67 Points
* 2nd Marlon Harrison (Coolangatta, QLD) – 26.50 Points
* 3rd Taj Simon (Port Kembla, NSW) – 23.10 Points
* 4th Koda Killorn (Maroubra, NSW) – 17.41 Points
14 & Under Girls
* 1st Willow Hardy (Gnarabup, WA) – 24.00 Points
* 2nd Zahlia Short (Wollongong, NSW) – 21.96 Points
* 3rd Shyla Short (Wollongong, NSW) – 17.40 Points
* 4th Jahly Stokes (Buddina, QLD) – 17.04 Points
14 & Under Boys
* 1st Fletcher Kelleher (North Steyne, NSW) – 30.33 Points
* 2nd Willis Droomer (Jan Juc, VIC) – 26.34 Points
* 3rd Eden Hasson (Boat Harbour, NSW) – 23.70 Points
* 4th Lucas Hickson (Rye, VIC) – 22.01 Points
12 & Under Girls
* 1st Quincy Symonds (Yamba, NSW) – 33.59 Points
* 2nd Ruby Trew (Curl Curl, NSW) – 27.80 Points
* 3rd Sara Hickson (Rye, VIC) – 21.97 Points
* 4th Stella Green (Buddina, QLD) – 21.19 Points
12 & Under Boys
* 1st Kash Brown (Cronulla, NSW) – 24.73 Points
* 2nd Ocean Lancaster (Newcastle, NSW) – 21.60 Points
* 3rd Caden Francis (Palm Beach, QLD) – 18.67 Points
* 4th Hunter Anderson (Moffat Beach, QLD) – 18.00 Points
For full results, head to surfingvic.com.