Meet the 2021 WestVic Academy of Sport athlete awardees
Archie Caldow: Athletics
Archie has been a WestVic Member for the past two years. The beginning of 2021 was busy for him as he progressed through the track & field season. Archie’s performances include:
- 1st Place at the Melbourne Track Classic in the Under 16’s 1500m.
- 2nd Place at the Australian Track & Field Championships in the Under 15s 1500m, backing it up the day after to place 1st in the 3000m.
Jai Copland: BMX
Jai is a WVAS athlete through our partnership with Bacchus Marsh Grammar. As a competitive BMX rider, Jai had great success at the National BMX Cup which included the following performances.
- On Day 1, Jai placed 7th in the 15-year-old boys’ category and 9th in the Junior Superclass.
- On Day 2, he backed up his performance coming 2nd in the 15 years category and then placing 11th in the Junior Superclass.
Lachlan O’Keefe: Athletics
Lachlan made his way through the track & field season with great success, collecting many gold medals throughout the year, including performances like:
- 1st place at the Victorian Country Championships in the Men’s U18 high jump, as well as winning the Open Men’s high jump.
- 1st place in the Under 17s High Jump at the Victorian Track & Field Championships.
- Gold in the high jump at the Australian Track & Field Championships, making him the U17 national high jump champion.
Fraser Saunder: Racewalking
Fraser’s performances across the sport of racewalking this year have been impressive, showing a great ability to compete at the elite level very consistently and achieve. His achievements from this year include:
- 1st Place in the Under 18s 5000m Walk at the Victorian Track & Field Championships.
- 1st Place at the Australian Track & Field Championships in Sydney in the 5000m walk.
- Finishing up with a great performance at the Oceania Race Walking Championships in March, winning gold in the Under 18s 5km.
Logan Casey: Tennis
Logan is a WVAS through our partnership with Horsham College, training and competing regularly in his sport, tennis. Logan is a leader in our tennis squad assisting coach’s David and James, as well as his fellow team members Logan’s great performances include:
- Winner in the Under 14 boys singles at the Inter-Regional Country Championship.
- Winning the Under 14 doubles at the Goulburn Valley JT & AMT Championships
Scott Peart: Racewalking
Scott competes in racewalking locally here in Ballarat, as well as travelling interstate for races. Scott’s older sisters Alanna and Jemma also compete, however, he is making his way as a junior with successful performances including:
- 1st Place at the Victorian Track & Field Championships in the U16 men 3000m walk.
- 1st place at the Little Athletics State Championships in the 1500m walk.
- 2nd place in the Athletics Victorian All Schools Roadwalking Championships.
Alanna Peart: Racewalking
Alanna is a long time WestVic member and the 2019 Athlete of the Year. Her constancy through competition is outstanding with the following performances being noted for 2021.
- 1st Place at the Oceania Race Walking Championships, in the women’s under-20 10km walk, where she achieved a World Junior qualifying time.
- 2nd place at the Oceania Invitation 10km walk event.
- 2nd in the women’s under-20 10km walk at the Australian Track & Field Championships.
- 1st place in the open women’s 5km racewalk event at the Lake Burley Griffin Carnival.
Anna Leighton: Swimming
Anna has been a long-time academy athlete with WestVic and is a previous recipient at WestVic Awards for her performances in swimming. Her achievements for this past season include:
- Four gold medals at the Victorian Long Course Age Championships, as well as one silver and bronze.
- Anna also performed greatly at the Australian Age National Championships having top 20 finishes in all her 8 events bar one.
Amy O’Hara: Basketball
Amy is another fellow WestVic athlete from our Bacchus Marsh Grammar partnership, focusing on and pursuing basketball. Amy’s commitment and talent for basketball has paid off recently, with the following performances being noted:
- Under 18 National Junior Basketball Championships – Team Vic 2nd place
- Amy also was named to be in the starting five for Hawthorn Magic, a team in the Women’s Big V Championship League.