Entries sought for Anzac Schools’ Awards

Torquay RSL vice-president Bob Tyler (first from left) talks about Anzac Day with students from Bellbrae Primary School near the school's memorial for students and teachers who served in war. Photo: SUPPLIED
ALMOST exactly 110 years ago, Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (Anzac) troops landed at Gallipoli, Türkiye, under withering fire from the Turks and stormed the beaches.Torquay RSL vice-president Bob Tyler has just announced an opportunities for local students, teachers and schools to retell the story of the landings on April 25, 1915 and the many other inspiring examples since then of those who have served Australia in wars, conflicts and peace operations
“Entries are now open for the 2025 Anzac Day Schools’ Awards, a national competition where students and teachers are asked to connect with veterans or current serving personnel to learn about Australia’s military history”, he said.
“The students are then to present their learnings in an innovative and meaningful way.”
“This year, the theme is Remembering Gallipoli: 110 years on.”
Mr Tyler said although the Gallipoli campaign was ultimately a military defeat, the battles fought there and the courage, loyalty, endurance, selflessness and mateship displayed by the original Anzacs were formative in the development of Australia’s national identity.
“Entries for the awards must relate directly to the theme but can take any form, including music, videos and podcasts, artwork and design, dance, drama or even gardens – the sky really is the limit.”
Winning schools will share in $39,000 of prize money and have their entries showcased on the Winners of Anzac Day Schools’ Awards page of the Department of Veterans Affair’s Anzac Portal.
Entries close at 5pm on May 29 and should be submitted online at anzacportal.dva.gov.au/classroom/anzac-day-schools-awards