Miranda Hall, pictured here with her saviour Tammas Calder, 11, injured herself at Urquhart Bluff earlier this month. Photo: MICHAEL CHAMBERS

Everyday heroes spring into action at Urquhart Bluff

May 21, 2020 BY

A TRIO of Anglesea locals will be remembered as heroes in the eyes of an 80-year-old woman who was cared for by more than 20 emergency service workers at Urquhart Bluff on May 5.

Miranda Hall was walking along the beach with her ex-husband Alan at 1.30pm when she slipped on a rock near the Mermaid Pool.

Mr Hall said they were about four kilometres west of the bluff without a phone or person in sight to call for help.

To their disbelief, two women and a young boy happened to pass by at exactly the right moment.

“Miranda came down heavy on her right side, went to get up and couldn’t. She was in a bit of pain and I had no phone with me, nothing,” Mr Hall said.

“A couple of girls walked by with an 11-year-old boy and his dog. It was lucky. There wasn’t a lot of people there on the beach.”

Friends Lauren Bell and Jane Whitelaw were wandering the beach with Ms Whitelaw’s son Tammas when they spotted Ms Hall in trouble.

Ms Whitelaw is an ambulance community officer with Ambulance Victoria, and Ms Bell works as a ski patroller at Falls Creek during winter.

Ms Bell said Ms Whitelaw dialled Triple Zero while she “acted like a splint” for Ms Hall until paramedics came onto the scene.

“I was highly suspicious that she’d fractured her neck of femur. It was an awkward landing,” Ms Bell said.

“Jane rang the ambulance and then Tammas ran 15 minutes back to the Urquhart’s carpark to bring emergency services to where we were.”

Mr Hall said when paramedics arrived, they made the decision to phone Melbourne’s air ambulance as Ms Hall was in a tricky spot for their crews to navigate.

The helicopter landed in the water before Ms Hall was transported to University Hospital Geelong. She had surgery on her hip the following day.

Ms Hall said she was blown away by the care she received, both at the time of the incident and during the days that followed.

“How lucky can I get? I was in so much pain and I couldn’t have asked for more attention and care.

“I was so touched, it brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to write a letter and thank everybody who helped me, and I tried to memorise all the nurses’ names.

“I don’t know what would’ve happened if I wasn’t found. I’d probably still be there.”

But it was Grade 6 Anglesea Primary School pupil Tammas Calder who proved every day people are capable of great things.

He said he felt proud to have assisted Ms Hall that day on the beach.

“I felt good that we found her and happy that she’s safe. I hope she gets to have another fun walk on the beach.”