FLYING THE FLAG STARS OF SUMMER Torquay SLSC celebrates another big year at presentation night
THE Torquay Surf Life Saving Club has celebrated another successful season.
More than 170 people attended the 2018/19 Club Presentation Night, held at the RACV Torquay Resort on Saturday.
The event recognised the tireless volunteers across all areas of the club, along with the remarkable achievements of its competing athletes – including state, national and world champions, the young members who donated more than 155 hours of patrol across the summer, to sausage sizzlers, tin rattlers, educators, water safety crews and every one of Torquay SLSC’s more than 1,300 members.
Awards presented on the night included:
• President’s Award: Ben Harris
• Club Captain Award: Vaughan Furniss
• Ken Pollard OAM Award: Jayden Ham
• Athlete of the Year: Grace Harris
• Most Improved Athlete of the Year: Josh Patterson
• Dr. Bill Johnson Award for Excellence & Services in Lifesaving Education: Emma Viney
• Best Club Person: Stephen Christofi
• Team of the Year: Bronze Trainers
• Jack Harris Trust Patrol of the Year: Ham Patrol
• Most Outstanding Junior Female Surf Lifesaver: Meg Davey
• Most Outstanding Junior Male Surf Lifesaver: Hugo Bibby
• Most Patrol Hours: Hugo Bibby
• Nippers Age Group Awards: U8 – Emma Henderson/Jack Keys, U9- Amelia Joseph/Max Flakemore, U10 – Charli Yates/Curtis Broadhead, U11 – Milla Browning/Ashton Schram, U12 – Stella Draper/Hamish McGowan, U13 – Leni Gilbert/Will Martin-Alcaide
• Nippers Volunteer of the Year: Dennis Hogan
• Nippers Program Most Water Safety/Patrol Hours: Vaughan Furniss
• Boats Section Encouragement Award: Greer Butcher
• Most Outstanding Boat Crew at Victorian Titles: Scarlett Blewett, Elizabeth Dwyer, Deanne Mcnamara, Sylvie Withers, Scott Tannahill (sweep)
• Most Outstanding Underage Rower: Louis Martinez
• Boat Captain’s Award: Scott Hastie Organisers of the Club Presentation
Night thanked sponsors, including major sponsor the Surf Coast Times, for making the event possible.