FLORENCE and George Oxley have spent a lifetime together as husband and wife, and with the passing of every decade – all seven of them – built a relationship bound by a love and devotion to one another.
Their story begins like an opening scene in a Hollywood romance film, George was on leave from the Air Force and Florence was doing her nursing training at the St Arnaud Hospital.
They met doing the progressive barn dance at the St Arnaud band hall and chatted until it was time for Florence to move to the next partner, both of them thought each other alright.
Later that evening George sought Florence out and asked to walk her back to the nurse’s home where it all blossomed from there.
They were married at the Donald Uniting Church on March 19, 1949 and spent the first night of their honeymoon at Craig’s Hotel in Ballarat.
The pair continued on to Lakes Entrance for the remainder of their getaway.
The Oxley’s lived in the Litchfield and Swanwater district – a rural district in the southern Wimmera region – where they worked on the family farm.
The farm was sold and they moved into St Arnaud in 1960, they remained there until their retirement in 1977 and moved to Torquay where they still reside.
They have four children, eight grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
The Oxley’s said they believe the key to their happy marriage is, “similar interests and always communicating with one another”.
Interests which include a passion for lawn bowls, George still plays, and their love of travel, especially in the caravan.
They will celebrate with family at the Mulgrave Country Club on Sunday March 24.