POLICE are investigating after a fire heavily damaged a renovated cafe in Torquay, just before it was about to reopen.
The former Cafe Moby on The Esplanade – which was days away from relaunching as The Kyn – caught fire late last night (Thursday, December 3).
The freshly-repainted building is still standing, but several windows and part of the roof has blown out and the interior is heavily smoke-affected.
Josh Friend and Tom McGrath from Bomboras, who have taken over the lease of the property, learned about the fire at 11.30pm yesterday.
Speaking outside the site this morning, the pair said they had no idea what had happened.
“I’m in shock,” Mr Friend said.
Mr McGrath said The Kyn would have opened as soon as the business received a liquor licence, as it was almost entirely complete.
“The builders walked out at 4pm yesterday saying their job was done, the shire was going to give us approval today, and the rails (for the front outdoor area) were coming on Monday.”
Mr Friend said he hoped at least some of their works would be covered by insurance.
The fire is still being treated as a crime scene.