Torquay Tigers hold their nerve to reach grand final

September 7, 2019 BY

Torquay are into the Bellarine Football League grand final after a narrow win over Geelong Amateur at McCartney Oval.

Just two points on the ladder separated the sides at the end of the home and away season, and the preliminary final was close. Torquay eventually took a 12.20 (92) to 13.7 (85) victory.

Torquay Tigers president Jenny Wood says she is delighted that the club will have both the seniors and the reserves in the grand final. She said the team showed a lot of character against Geelong Amateur.

“It was a tough game,” she said.

“But they really stuck with it and didn’t stray away from the game plan.”

Torquay lead for all but a small portion of the final quarter. But Geelong’s efficiency in front of goal meant they never trailed by far.

The match started at a rapid tempo. Torquay took an early lead, but Geelong then kicked three goals without reply to take a 25 to 15 lead.

Yet Torquay then finished the first quarter by kicking four without reply, giving them a 6.6 (42) to 4.1 (25) lead.

With Torquay also scoring the first goal of the second quarter, it looked like they might begin to pull away, just as they did towards the end of the first half against Anglesea in the preliminary final.

But Geelong stole a pair of goals in the final minutes of the quarter to restrict Torquay’s lead to just 13 points.

Geelong improved as the game progressed, and by the end of the third quarter had cut Torquay’s lead to just three points.

Torquay were composed while in possession throughout. They frequently transitioned from defence to attack without their opposition touching the ball.

Yet Geelong continually converted half-chances into goals, with Mitchell Day being a particularly commanding presence up forward.

The final siren ended up going just as Torquay scored a point to take their lead beyond a single goal.

Torquay will now face Barwon Heads next Saturday in the grand final which is also being played at McCartney Oval.

The reserves match was equally intense, as Modewarre defeated Barwon Heads 5.10 (40) to 5.8 (38).

Barwon Heads led at both half and three-quarter time, but Modewarre edged past them in the final quarter to set up a final with Torquay.