Football Victoria suspends play until end of May
FOOTBALL Victoria recently announced all soccer activities would be suspended until May 31.
The governing body previously announced matches would resume on April 14, but after consulting with a National COVID-19 Working Committee, Football Victoria decided to extend the suspension.
Football Victoria chief executive officer Peter Filopoulos said despite being disappointing, the decision was the right one to make.
“These are some of the most testing times we have ever faced as a sport and we are particularly concerned for our football community.
“As the largest participation sport in the state, football is the glue that holds many communities together.
“However, the health and wellbeing of all of Football Victoria’s clubs and stakeholders is paramount. Although we would prefer to be playing football, the safety of our participants is our absolute priority.”
About half a million people are registered participants in statewide games.
Mr Filopoulos said Football Victoria was working to ensure people could resume playing the sport as soon as authorities deemed it safe.
“Although the season has been delayed, our staff are still working through a number of contingencies for a re-started competition.
“We recognise there is an incredible hunger among the football community to get back out on the field when this is over.”
Meanwhile, Football Federation Australia recently launched their Skill Hub to help players who would otherwise on the pitch right now get active and improve their technique while in lockdown.
To use the hub, head to playfootball.com.au/skills-hub.