Inaugural home game marks historic moment for Chargers’ men.

December 16, 2021 BY

Aaron Prendergast zips a pass to his teammate. Photo: MARCEL BERENS/SPORTS MEDIA IMAGES

THE Surfcoast Chargers men’s side has at last hosted its first-ever Country Basketball League (CBL) game on home court, achieving the same feat as its female counterpart did a week ago.

Unfortunately, the Chargers were unable to defeat the Colac Kookas on Saturday night at Wurdi Baierr Stadium despite three very strong quarters of play. Surfcoast eventually fell 67-84.

Saturday’s hosts found themselves with four omissions prior to the opening tip-off due to illness and personal matters, three of which were key experienced players.

Head coach Nick Forde was impressed with how his side reacted despite the pre-game roster adjustment, saying it is a “promising sign” with so many youngsters rising through the ranks.

“It was our third game on Saturday and each game so far this season has been within our grasp,” Forde said.

“Every week, the younger kids just get better and better and better and judging off of their performances this past weekend it has things are looking up.”

Rhys Creed was on fire for the Chargers, compiling a game-high 27 points leading both sides in individual scoring.

Max Eastmure was solid with nine points but found himself in foul trouble halfway through the contest and sat out for most of the third quarter.

 

Max Eastmure takes it to the rim at Wurdi Baierr Stadium. Photo: MARCEL BERENS/SPORTS MEDIA IMAGES

 

Matt Burke secured eight points and Brandon Creed had a modest seven, while Colac ran away with the matchup in the fourth, outscoring Surfcoast 21 to 12. This cemented the visitors’ 17-point victory.

The final result against Colac was never going to sour the night for the side, especially against their regional neighbours.

Every player on the night knew it marked the next chapter in men’s basketball on the Surfcoast and Forde was more than happy to share in the occasion.

“I have been involved in this process for the past 10 years ago since we started the Surfcoasters domestic club,” Forde said.

“To see it go from that to a brand-new state of the art stadium and club with our own association CBL teams, it really is a credit to everyone who has been involved.”

The Chargers will enjoy a well-earned rest in Round 4 and Round 5 with two-straight bye weeks, before returning to the hardcourt in mid-January, 2022 to clash with the Horsham Hornets and Terang Tornadoes in a Round 6 doubleheader.

Head to www.basketballsurfcoast.com.au to keep up with both the men’s and women’s CBL teams on the Surf Coast.

Thank you for supporting local journalism!