OCEAN Grove Surf Life Saving Club has been named ‘Overall Club Champion’ at the 2020/21 Life Saving Victoria State Championships.
The winning club finished with 504 points and Torquay came in second with 327 points.
Lorne SLSC hosted rescue, resuscitation, beach and water events in March, however the surfboats were rescheduled to Easter Monday at Fishermans Beach in Torquay due to challenging surf conditions at Lorne.
Result highlights included Torquay SLSC winning the Open 6 Man Taplin Relay and Point Leo SLSC taking out the Women’s Taplin relay, as well as Warrnambool SLSC’s Sophie Thomas winning the Open Women’s Ironwoman event and Lorne SLSC crews winning the Open Men and Open Women’s surfboat events.
Iestyn Knapp from Ocean Grove SLSC was named the 2021 Maurie Rayner scholarship recipient for his outstanding results throughout the season.
“They were awesome conditions, and it was a good weekend,” Knapp said.
“I’ve been training for two years for these State Championships (given last year was cancelled due to COVID-19) so I wasn’t going to let pain get in the way.”
Jemma Holt, the overall Under 14 Athlete of the Year (Fred Westfield medallist) said: “The weekend was so fun, with so many challenges. Anyone who went out and gave it a go should be really proud of themselves”.
Point Leo SLSC was the standout winner of the 2021 LSV Masters State Championships with 503 points. Second was Black Rock SLSC at 229 points and Ocean Grove came in third at 223 points.
“The masters were so impressive this year with many personal bests and some wonderful displays of teamwork and fun,” said Kate Simpson, LSV general manager of sport and education.
“Some teams have competed together for many years and it was great to watch this level of experience and commitment to lifesaving sport.”
Season 2020/21 Key Awards:
- Geoff Waters Memorial Trophy, Anglesea SLSC (overall point winners R&R)
- Iestyn Knapp, Ocean Grove SLSC, Maurie Rayner Scholarship recipient
- Jemma Holt, Mordialloc LSC, Fred Westfield Medal recipient (most outstanding overall U14 athlete at the Victorian Youth/Senior Lifesaving State Championships)
U14 Champion Athletes (at the Victorian Youth/Senior Lifesaving State Championships):
- Hudson Pearce, Ocean Grove SLSC (Water events)
- Ben Seers, Mentone LSC (Beach events)
- Sienna Stewart, Ocean Grove SLSC (Beach events)
- Jemma Holt, Mordialloc LSC (Water events)